Oak leaves

I have very sandy soil and an surrounded by oak trees. Last year my vegetable garden produced a high volune of blossoms, but very few matured or started to develop only to stop growing and die. The only thing tgat did well was the trough of greens with soil brought in. Wven the carrots failed, beets never came in. Can i add something to my spil to counter act the oak leaves in the soil? Overall it cant be too bad as my property connects to Michaels nursery who used to grow produce commercially. Thank you Sheri Cairns

Montcalm County Michigan

Sheri,
Thank you for your question. The oak leaves are most likely not the problem. Oak leaves themselves may be somewhat acidic but once broken down or composted they do not significantly alter the soil pH. What you need to do is get a soil test (https://homesoiltest.msu.edu/) This will help you see what your soil needs to grow your vegetables. Adding organic matter (e..g compost) will help with water retention and nutrients.
I hope this is helpful,