Snake resting different then normal

Asked March 24, 2020, 1:06 AM EDT

I’ve had my ball python for 2 years and recently he started resting very weird in his cave where his head is slight tilted on a angle never seen him do it so it could be normal but I’ve never seen him also I moved around his enclosure and changed it a bit last week around when it started. I could just be paranoid I just want to make sure.

Outside United States

Thank you for your question. Pythons and other snakes sometimes rest in the position you reference. If the snake adopts this position on a regular basis, it can be an indication of a fatal viral infection called Inclusion Body Disease (IBD) that affects boids. One of the possible indications of the disease is a behavior referred to as "stargazing", where the snake holds its head vertically, as if looking up at the stars.

I am not a veterinarian, and it's impossible to determine if there is something wrong with your snake based solely on your description. I recommend you take your snake to a reptile veterinarian. They will be able to determine if your snake has this disease or some other disorder.

Here is a link to information on IBD:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Snake-Inclusion-Body-Disease/

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim