Mexican king snake

Why is my Mexican king snake hiding under water bowl coiled up or in the sand in the cage ,he hasnt eaten since I bought him a week ago but loves to be held still ....when in the cage he just burys himself and hides all the time

Contra Costa County California

Thank you for your question. Mexican milk snakes, scientific name Lampropeltis triangulum annulata, are nocturnal snakes. In the wild, they spend most of the day hiding in animal burrows or under logs. This is why your snake is spending time under its water bowl or buried in the sand. In addition, if you only purchased the snake a week ago, it is probably not accustomed to its surroundings yet, and is suffering some stress. It is more likely to hide some place where it feels more secure under these circumstances. This may also be the reason your snake hasn't eaten. This species will benefit from a piece of bark in its cage that can act as a secure hiding place.

You didn't mention in your question whether your snake is a juvenile or adult. Make sure you are feeding the appropriate size prey for your snake's size, and that you are maintaining the proper temperature for this species.

Here is a link to habitat, temperature and feeding recommendations for this species:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Snake-Species/Mexican-Milk-Snake/

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim