Marek's and the coop

Last year we lost 3 pullets (from a poultry swap) to marek's disease (we had them tested at your lab.) We did have the birds quarantined and none of our other birds (including the other pullets we raised from chicks) were affected. My question. I washed and bleached the little coop we used for quarantine and for transitioning pullets. Is it safe to use it with pullets again, or will that put them in danger of getting marek's?

Benton County Oregon poultry mareks disease

Virtually all chickens are challenged by the Marek's virus within 12 to 24 hours after hatching. All commercial chickens are vaccinated at the hatchery prior to placement at the farm. Poultry veterinarians tell me that once chickens are about 4 weeks of age they are mostly immune to Marek's disease.

Therefore to reduce or eliminate Marek's at your facility, purchase only vaccinated chicks, most reputable hatcheries will vaccinate for a small fee per bird, it is well worth the cost. If you are hatching eggs from your own hens, vaccine is available and relatively inexpensive.

Your cleaning efforts which will not directly effect illness due to Marek's disease, cleaning and disinfection will help with other potential diseases in chickens.