I have a tall pine tree that looks like it is dying on on side There are...

Asked March 23, 2020, 9:58 AM EDT

I have a tall pine tree that looks like it is dying on on side There are vines under tree that looks bad too.the vines also run up the tree

Clark County Ohio

Hi Clark County, I need more information and ideally a nice picture would be great. My first thought is that someone has used a herbicide in the area and the vines and tree are responding to the spray. If this is near a utility line, then that might be the case as they want to maintain the lines at all cost. There are diseases that attack "pines" but we would need to take a look and see what is going on with the needles and branches. I know the OSU Extension Offices in Ohio have closed so you can't take a sample in for them to look at. You might contact the Plant Disease Clinic at the Ohio Department of Agriculture and get a sample to them. There is a fee to have them take a look and try to find out what is going on with the tree. Don

Hi Clark County,
https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/cpr/forestry/needle-cast-diseases-of-spruce-diagnosis-and-treatment
The link above explains the needle cast diseases of spruce. We have seen a lot of this in the last few years. When you look at the name of the Norway Spruce and the Colorado Blue Spruce you get the idea that they originated in those areas and the climate there is usually cooler with some moisture to keep them going. We have had unprecedented seasons of warmer than usual and wetter than usual weather here in Ohio. This is perfect for fungus to grow and take over the Spruce trees and cause damage.

The fact the ivy underneath and up the tree has leaves that don't look so good is that this was from the dormant period this winter when it all turns brown. The leaves going up the tree have turned green and are starting to perk up now that the weather is much nicer.

Here is what I would do: bid the two Spruce trees goodbye. They look like they have substantial dead areas in the trees. Then look around and pick something else that will do the job you want. If you want a screen to block some view, then I would go for "Green Giant" Arborvitae. That is the softer green flat foliage shrub that can grow rather tall and block the view. Green giant is the one that is preferred around here now as it is not so prone to bagworms. Deer do not browse on it as much (deer will eat anything if they are hungry enough!). They will spread out some so you can place them 15 feet or little more apart when planting to make a screen.

To sum up, I would take down the Spruce trees and hunt for Green Giant Arborvitae plants and get them started. Early spring is an excellent time to plant! Don