Inland lake new construction setbacks

Asked March 17, 2020, 12:46 PM EDT

Who’s rules control on setbacks from the waters edge, regarding new construction on Inland Lakes, The State or local municipalities where the property is located ? Jerry

Ottawa County Michigan

1 Response

Hello Jerry,

For inland lakes in Michigan setbacks from the water's edge (sometimes defined as the Ordinary High Water Mark, OHWM) for new construction would be under the authority of the local zoning ordinance. You will need to look up the zoning ordinance for the local unit of government. Ottawa County has links to all the cities, townships, and villages on their website here:

Once you are on the local unit of government you should be able to find the zoning map and ordinance where the particular details about setbacks and other requirements would be.

I hope that helps to answer your question. If there is anything else I can do please let me know.