garden soil testing

Asked March 14, 2020, 11:47 AM EDT

I'm trying to find out how to get my vegetable garden soil tested and how many samples would be adequate. I live in the Redlands and my garden space has been used for over 10 years with various organic supplements over the years. My garden is about 1,000 sq ft with 10 rows. The soil seems to be different is various beds. I've been trying to rotate the vegetables but some areas are just better for cool season (gets some shade) and other rows are better for tomatoes (can easily use a trellis). Some beds now seem to be less productive.

Mesa County Colorado

I would send a sample to Ward Labs since I am not sure if our lab on campus is open.
https://www.wardlab.com/ If the soil is visibly different, I would suggest doing different samples. There are several reasons why the vegetables could not be doing well including but not limited to viruses (see often with tomatoes and peppers), tree roots, build up of salts (be careful of manures esp chicken and horse), too high of an organic matter or a need of nitrogen or a micronutrient. Luckily most of our nutrients are good in our soils. You were correct to rotate as viruses can last in the soils up to 4 years. Feel free to send me a copy of your results if you have questions when you get your report: susan.carter@colostate.edu