Grass in tough soil

Hello, my grass is basically a spotty mud pit on one side of the yard. The other side of the yard is beautiful! The problem side, I just cut down a black walnut tree which I hear is toxic to grass. They ground the stump down, but the enormous roots are still in the dirt as it was a mature tree. This side of the yard also gets a lot of standing water due to being next to a hill. Do you think there would be any hope if, now that the tree is gone, I tried to lay new sod down?

Hennepin County Minnesota

Black walnut isn’t actually very toxic to grass. The dense shade they provide would make growing grass under them almost impossible. I would attempt to seed rather than sod. You will be able to pick the variety and seed is cheap. It usually is pretty easy to get grass to grow in the spring and you would be able to keep overseeing until you get the lawn you want. Big roots may keep grass from growing for a couple of seasons because they could keep the grass from getting enough water and as the roots decay they will make the area soft and spongy.

This is really helpful, thank you so much for responding!

You are welcome! It will take awhile