What dug this hole by our Silver Spring townhome?

Hi! I'm wondering if you can help me figure out what may have dug this hole. I live in a townhome in Silver Spring, MD. This hole appeared one morning this week on a raised plantbed area by the steps. I've had squirrels dig up my plants in this area before, but it didn't look like this. The hole is about 5 inches and seems to be surrounded by straw/dried grass. Seems to be too big for a squirrel, but then again I'm not sure what other animal would have jumped up to that level. I have attached a few pictures. I have others I can share too if needed. Any ideas? I'm a little worried. Thanks so much!

Montgomery County Maryland

We wouldn't be worried.
We can't tell what animal may have done this, but wonder if it may be a nest being prepped for baby rabbits or some other small mammal.
We keep an eye on it and leave it alone.
Nighttime trail cameras are not that expensive anymore. If you are really interested you could consider setting one up to identify who it is.

Christine

Thank you Christine. I appreciate your help!