Growing an urban forest

Greetings, I want to convert a portion of my yard into to what I have been calling an Urban Forest but what was referenced as a Homegrown National Park in the Star Tribune article: Native Plant guru has a radical vision for the American yard, a few weeks ago. In the article they talk about Mount Cuba Center and I looked it up. They have a virtual tour of their woodland trail, see link below. This is the feeling I want to create in that section of my lot. I need help figuring out what plants and trees to put in there. I was wondering if there is a master gardener who could help me with the planning for this project. https://mtcubacenter.org/visit/tour/spring/ Looking forward to hearing from you. Dorothy Bialke

Hennepin County Minnesota

It is possible to ask for master gardener help by contacting the Program coordinator. Write up your project in as much detail as you can provide, size of yard, location, soil type , setting etc. Be very clear about your goals and the coordinator can ask for a volunteer. If it attracts someone’s interest they will contact you. There are usually more opponents than can be filled but it is worth trying. See the contact information.

Terry Straub, Extension Educator

University of Minnesota Extension

Master Gardener Volunteer Program -- Hennepin County

479 Prairie Center Drive

Eden Prairie, MN 55344

P: 612.596.2130 / F: 612.466.9947

Preferred e-mail: strau097@umn.edu