Unknown weed?

Asked March 4, 2020, 3:39 PM EST

I have a lot of these plants, which are probably a weed but which I can't find in "Weeds of the Northeast". Picture attached. Height from crown 2 inches. The pic isn't great, so I'll describe it too. Leaves round, edges slightly crinkled. Veins slightly below the top surface of the leaf, giving a pebbled appearance. Underside of leaf slightly lighter green than top surface. No obvious hairs. Leaves emerge in several tight clumps at the crown, like a violet, on stems that are 1 to 3 inches long. Stems smooth, with groove on the top surface. Roots not fibrous. No flowers or flower buds visible at the moment. It's growing in light summer shade in amended clay soil that has been a garden for many years. Soil test alkaline (6.8-7.3). Can you identify?

Montgomery County Maryland

We suspect this may be the invasive weed called Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata).
See our webpage here for more information:https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/garlic-mustard
If so, crushing the leaf should be fragrant.

The first year it grows a low rosette of leaves and the second year it bolts with flowers. Pulling it before seed set is recommended.

Christine