Japanese Stiltgrass

Asked March 3, 2020, 12:40 PM EST

I just bought a 77 lb bag of Pendulum 2G preemergent herbicide to combat Japanese Stiltgrass on my lawn. I saw, I believe on a Penn State website that this was a appropriate herbicide for Stiltgrass. Do you concur that this is an appropriate product for Howard County Maryland ? It is a granular product. How soon do you recommend I apply it ? I have a Scott’s Speedy Green 3000 spreader. BASF instruction manual doesn’t give spreader settings,rather lbs of product per acre. Do you have a suggested setting for a regular homeowner type of spreader like the Speedy Green 3000 ?

Howard County Maryland

The two preemergent herbicide chemicals we recommend for stiltgrass are Pendimethalin (Pendulum) and Prodiamine. For stiltgrass, they should be applied about 1-2 weeks before crabgrass preemergent application is recommended because stiltgrass germinates a little earlier. Crabgrass preemergent should be applied when forsythia blooms are falling--this is going to vary from year to year depending upon the weather.

So keep an eye on the forsythia blooms, and when it starts to look past its prime, put down the preemergent.

Read through our page on stiltgrass management for more detail: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/japanese-stiltgrass

Ellen

We don't have information on spreader settings. Read the product label and the spreader literature and/ or go online.

Ellen