Pressure canning

Asked March 2, 2020, 10:14 PM EST

I’m new to pressure canning and have a glass top stove. I’m having a really hard time regulating pounds of pressure and am wondering if the pressure goes over what it should if that’s okay? For instance, I’m pressure canning beans now and they need to process for 90 min at 11 pounds pressure. I cannot keep it at 11 and it tends to rise between 11-14. Is that okay as long as it doesn’t fall below 11 pounds? Thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon food safety home food preservation

First of all as long as the pressure does not drop below 11 pounds you should be safe. I wonder if you vented the canner for a full 10 minutes before putting on the weight. Sometimes if the canner is not properly vented the pressure will be harder to regulate.

My big concern is that you are pressure canning on a glass top stove. I would be sure that the stove warranty is ok with canning on it. Many companies warn against pressure canning because of the high heat and the stove tops can crack. also many of the stoves have a thermostat that will shut them off if they get too hot. Since yours ran high it probably wasn't shutting down.

If you your vented your beans for a full 10 minutes and then processed them for 90 at a pressure of at least 11# and cooled the canner slowly letting it return to 0, your beans will be safe.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler