Transplanting raspberries

Asked February 26, 2020, 10:42 AM EST

I have some established raspberry plants in the garden in my old house in Northeast Portland. I am interested in moving them to my garden at my new house in southwest Portland. What’s the best way to move them and what’s the best timing? Should I dig up the entire plant and move it or should I move just a part of it? Thanks

Multnomah County Oregon raspberries

Thank you for choosing Ask an Expert for help with your raspberries. Now would be a great time to move the plants to their new home. Pick healthy clumps and get a good root ball with each. Plant them in their home right away.

If the soil has been compacted, mix in an organic amendment (compost, planting mix, etc.). If the new soil tends to be a bit wet, plant the raspberries slightly above grade, by hilling up the soil 6 inches to 12 inches.

For more information on getting the best from your raspberry patch, check out this Oregon Extension publication: Growing Raspberries in Your Home Garden. See here - https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1306

Have a great spring,