Bread Making

Back in the 1950's, my Mother was active in the home extension program in John Day. She got a pamphlet from the occident flour co through the program. It had the best yeast bread recipe in it. She gave it to me and I lost it in a move. Is there any chance it might be in archives somewhere? It involved using a starter and instead of kneading, you rolled the dough out with a rolling pin. Made 4 loaves or 3 and a pan of cinnamon rolls. It was fool proof, unless you killed the yeast, and made excellent bread. I would really like to have that recipe again to pass along to my grandkids.

Umatilla County Oregon

I have looked through many of my old recipes for baking bread but do not find the one that you are talking about nor do I remember seeing it. You might check with Gold Medal or Pillsbury to see if it came from them. They might archive recipes and were the two main flour companies that manufactured flour in the 50's.

I bake all my own bread and have taught hundreds of people to make bread and use one basic recipe for everything from loaves, rolls, cinnamon rolls and even pizza dough. It is pretty fool proof. Here is the recipe for you to try.

BASIC BREAD OR ROLL RECIPE

· 1/2 cup (½ and ½)

· 2 1/2 cups HOT water from the tap

· ¼ cup sugar

· 2 tsps. salt

· ¼ cup margarine, oil or butter

· 1 egg

· 1 package instant dry yeast or 1 scant Tbsp. bulk yeast

· 6-8 cups all-purpose or bread flour

1. In a large mixing bowl add hot water, half and half and oil, sugar, salt, and egg mix well. Add yeast. Stir to mix all ingredients and let set a few minutes until the yeast is dissolved.

2. Add approximately 2½ cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour (2-3 cups) to form a soft stiff dough. Do not over mix.

3. Put dough on floured bread board or pastry cloth and knead until soft and silky.

4. Place dough in lightly greased bowl and cover with towel. Let rise until double in bulk.

5. Punch down and shape into 3 loaves,* 8½ x 4½ x 2½”. OR dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls etc. Place in lightly greased pans. Let rise until double in bulk.

6. Bake at 375º F. for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

7. Immediately remove bread from pan to cooling rack. Once cool tightly wrap and store at room temperature. For longer term storage bread can be frozen.

*This basic bread recipe can also be used for dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls and other sweet rolls, Teddy Bear bread and even pizza dough.

Makes 3 loaves

Good luck and thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler