Fish Fertilizer Disaster

Asked February 20, 2020, 9:50 AM EST

Last summer, I mixed a small amount of fish fertilizer into 3 gallons of water in a watering can. I then forgot about it. A week or so later, I saw it. It smelled okay (for fish fertilizer) so I used it. Mistake. Wherever it had been applied, plants died. The strawberry patch was hit worst — the plants at the application site and, I believe, their daughters, died and over the winter turned into a black slimy mess. My question to you — of all the questions that may be asked about this debacle — is whether I should dig down and remove the soil that I watered with fish fertilizer and replace it with soil that no one has done anything idiotic to. Thank you for your help.

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for your question to Ask an Expert.

It sounds like the fish fertilizer could have either burned your plants, which then turned black or created a plant pathogen that damaged the plants above ground.

Strawberries naturally die back in the winter and I imagine that the roots are still alive.

Are the strawberry crowns still in the soil? If yes, I would leave them and see what happens this spring. As a perennial, they might come back.

If not, it is likely that the abundant rain this season has washed away the fish fertilizer, which is soluble.

I would not remove the soil and replace it.

Good luck,

Weston