Pond Construction

Asked February 18, 2020, 9:58 AM EST

Hi, I have a 38 acre farm in Grayson County near Caneyville and I want to build a pond for wildlife. There is an area that holds water in the wetter months that seems like a good location for one. I think the soil is a bit silty/fine sand so it may need a clay liner. Where do I start? Are there contractors that specialize in pond construction? Where would I get clay to line the pond (if needed), and what type of clay should I use? Is there any financial assistance available or tax benefit? Anything else I should know? Thank you in advance for any advise/help/assistance you can provide. Thank you - Vance

Grayson County Kentucky

1 Response

Thanks for your questions. There is lots of information out there on pond construction and every pond is different based on where and what you're planning to do with it. If it's for wildlife it should be a pretty "simple" thing to do, however, if you want to have fish, there's a few more things to consider as you go along. We typically work with Kentucky State University aquaculture program on that, as well as KY department of fish and wildlife. Dr. Forrest Wynne is our specialist based out of Paducah that could help once you get ready to build. Another local option that may potentially have some financial assistance is the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). They would be able to tell you if there's any tax benefit. They are next door to our office and can also help you with specs also. As for pond specialists, I'm not sure there are any specialized "locally" but I'm sure there are local contractors that have built ponds for people. I'll have to ask around. For now, there are some resources that you can look at:

Take a look through these and if you want, we can maybe set up a meeting and chat about it. Our office is 123 Commerce Drive, Leitchfield, KY and our phone number is 270-259-3492.
Whitney Carman