Baby snake in Georgia

What kind of snake is this? It’s tiny but when it opened it’s mouth and raised up at me I swear it could’ve swallowed my finger.

Gwinnett County Georgia

Thank you for your question. The snake in your photograph is a brown snake, scientific name is Storeria dekayi. It is a non-venomous species.

Typical length of adults is 9 - 12 inches. Maximum length is approximately 18 inches. They are common in many eastern and southeastern states. They are found in a variety of habitats. They are commonly found by homeowners under mulch, pine straw and leaf litter.

They feed on insects, insect larvae, slugs, snails spiders and small salamanders.

Here's a link to the Savannah River Ecology Laboratory's webpage on this species where you can obtain more information:

https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/stodek.htm

If you are interested in learning more about the snake species in your area, this is an excellent field guide:

Gibbons, W. (2017). Snakes of the Eastern United States. Athens: The University of Georgia Press.

I hope this answers your question, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim