Garden Soil

Asked February 2, 2020, 9:20 AM EST

Hello, I am making some raise bed to grow vegetables. It needs about 200 Cubic feet of soil and I don't know where to get it. I tried the dirt dugout in construction sites (to make say basement) but in our area (Bethesda) it is all heavy clay, so dense that water hardly penetrate it. Buying bagged soil from store like Home depot would cost a lot. Can you please tell me where can I get good and cheap soil for vegetables? Thanks

Montgomery County Maryland

It is recommended to look for vendors that sell a mixture of compost (for example Leafgro, composted leaves) and topsoil for your raised beds. Leaf Gro is a high quality product produced by the MD Environmental Service, available in 1.5 cu. ft. bags or in bulk (e.g., RELS Landscaping on Layhill Rd.). You can check local nurseries and garden centers. You may be able to find other local compost sources online.
Take a look at our web page on the subject https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/soil-fill-raised-beds

Marian