Testing Gauge

Asked January 31, 2020, 9:44 AM EST

Ok me again - sorry I keep asking these questions but I really want to understand gauges before I purchase a canner (I have only water bath canned so far.) I know it is recommended to test it each year, but is there a way to know when a gauge is no longer accurate? If I can't find a location to test it, would purchasing a new one be okay?

Macomb County Michigan

Hi,
There are no indicators that tell you that your dial gauge may be off.
We recommend after a year's usage a new dial be tested every year after that.

With a used pressure canner, we recommend that the dial gauge be tested before you use it. Again yearly after that.

If you are unable to find a testing location or the manufacturer does not offer testing, then definitely look at a new one. But to make the purchase cost effective plan on using the pressure canner for at least 5-10 years.
Usually most stores put their pressure canners on sale at the end of the canning season so they do not have to be in the inventory count.
If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask.
Sincerely,
Chris