Testing Gauge

Hello! I’m a newbie canner (about 6 months of water bath) and am planning on adding pressure canning. How would I get a gauge checked? Thank you!

Macomb County Michigan

Hi,
If you have purchased a brand new not out of the box pressure canner, it will not need to be tested until after you have canned with it. The manufacturer guarantees the pressure canner to be accurate the first time.
If you have a used pressure canner with a Dial gauge, I will be at the Macomb County MSUE office on 3-10-2020 to teach a food safety for food service managers class. When we break at noon I would be happy to test your gauge.
If you have a weighted gauge, the manufacturer guarantees the weight for life. It does not need testing.
If you have a used canner you need to make sure that all the parts are present. Also check the sealing ring inside the lid to make sure it is flexible.
Here is the link to the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning and Freezing you can download and print off the sections of the handbook you need. https://www.healthycanning.com/wp-content/uploads/USDA-Complete-Guide-to-Home-Canning-2015-revision....

P
lease email me to let me know, if I need to bring my dial gauge tester that day.
Sincerely,

Thank you for your response. I'm new to canning and have not yet purchased a pressure canner, the availability of gauge testing is one factor I am considering prior to making a decision. Other than catching up with someone, is there a way to get a gauge tested? An office or something?

Hi,
No, there is no easy way to get your dial gauge tested because there are so few of the MSUE educators who do the testing.
There are no specific offices that do the testing.
You could always contact the manufacturer to see if they offer that service.
Sincerely,
Chris