Hawthorn tree

Asked January 28, 2020, 10:49 AM EST

We have a hawthorn tree on the property line. It’s about 30-40 feet tall and popular with the squirrels and birds. We’ve trimmed the lower branches and those that were too close to our roofs so now it’s more espalliered. The tree is at least 550 years old. I see no sign of disease. But my neighbor would like to rremove it. Has it reached it’s life span? Should we replace it with something else? If so, what?

Multnomah County Oregon

Your hawthorn sounds like a great old tree with character earned by surviving through so many events for such a long time. Hawthorn trees can live for a long time. I think what I would do is have an ISA licensed arborist come out to examine and evaluate the tree's health. If it is healthy, the tree professionals may have suggestions for pruning the tree to enable you and your neighbor come to an agreement.

You can find an ISA certified arborist at this site, https://pnwisa.org/hire-an-arborist/isa-certified-arborist-directory/. We recommend you talk with at least 3 arborists to find the one who is best able to help you. ISA (International Society of Arborists) is an organization of tree specialists who have trained and passed exams demonstrating their expertise. The organization also has laboratory resources for diagnosing