Brown Spots on Palm Tree

Asked January 27, 2020, 11:05 AM EST

My indoor, thriving palm tree (about 5 feet tall) has started getting brown (dead looking) spots on several of the branches, and slowly spreading and getting worse. Otherwise, it has numerous new branches sprouting up all the time. I've had it for 8 years, and I keep very good track of watering and fertilizing. Could this be caused by bugs or disease?

Jefferson County Kentucky

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to diagnose a plant problem without photos and, often, an examination. I suggest you contact your Extension office directly for help: http://jefferson.ca.uky.edu/ Good luck!

Thanks! Got them twice! Browning leaves on houseplants typically indicate a watering problem. It can come from overwatering, underwatering, or that the water that is applied to the plant can't be taken up by the roots because they are too crowded (root bound). Have you ever repotted it into a larger, well-draining container?