rasberries

I want to share my raspberries with a friend in Baker City. I am in Clack. county, going to visit Baker on March 3. What is the best time to plant them in Baker? Friend has spent all winter preping the bed.

Baker County Oregon raspberries transplant

Recommendations about sharing raspberry plants from one garden to another vary, according to who is talking.

Educational sites suggest you always start with clean, certified plants obtained in spring. "Purchase dormant, certified plants at a garden store or nursery. Sucker plants dug from an established planting during the winter when plants are dormant often have virus diseases that can survive during transplanting." is the advice from this publication: https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/2076/2017/06/C116-Raspberries-16.pdf.

I realize this will be disappointing to both you and your friend but, far too often, Master Gardener Offices hear about shared plants that decline due to disease that wasn’t obvious beforehand. And, because some diseases are soilborne, the new planting area can be permanently contaminated. It's not possible to wash the disease organisms off the roots.

If you do share your transplants, it's best to do so before they have any new growth.

You’ll find reliable planting information and more in “Growing Raspberries in Your Home Garden" - https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/ec1306.pdf

thank you. No matter where the plants come from, I will do more research into the climate of the valley and Eastern OR. since I just wanted to know when 'spring' usually arrives east of the mountains.
These plants are very special to me. The original plants were planted by my grandmother over 50 years ago, survived moving to 4 residences, and putting up with my early lack of knowledge and care.

It sounds as if your grandmother's plants are true survivors.

The best way to learn about the planting date in Baker is to contact the Baker County Extension Service Office at 541-523-8225. Although I don't see a listing for Master Gardeners in Baker County, the receptionist should be able to direct you to someone who can help you.

I did locate this information in reference to growing raspberries in Baker.

"Fall is a great time for transplanting raspberries, but it's a little late for that now, since there have likely already been several frosts in Baker City. Early spring is also possible. Your friend should plant them where they will have lots of sun, and protection from wind. [Your friend] should not expect berries the first year unless you are sure you have a primocane fruiting variety- most types don't bear fruit on first year canes. In areas with lots of snow and wind, additional protection of the canes will be useful."

Please write back if you need more information.