African violet

Asked January 24, 2020, 11:47 AM EST

My african violets leaves are drooping all of a sudden. I have had it for years and this is the first time it is doing this. I do not know if I am watering too much or too little. Help will be appreciated. Thank you

Baltimore County Maryland

The leaves can droop if underwaterd or overwatered. In general, most houseplants tend to be overwatered. You can remove the plant from the container and look at the roots. They should be firm and whitish not brown and mushy.
If the roots are brown and mushy, you can propagate the plant by taking some leaf cuttings.

In general, African violets grow best in an east or west window in bright, indirect light. They like to be kept relatively moist and no water on the leaves. Watering from the bottom is a good practice, but the plant shouldn't be in water constantly, which can lead to root rot. Allow the top 1/2 inch of potting soil to dry out between waterings.
Here is a link to our brief video about African violet care, which includes additional tips and propagation. https://youtu.be/oTx2mFagbnk

Marian