Wineberries

Asked January 22, 2020, 12:35 AM EST

Where can I find a local source?

Multnomah County Oregon berries

Thank you for your question. I an assuming you are describing the wine raspberry. It probably will not be available from any commercial nurseries, primarily because it is described as an invasive plant where it has been introduced in the Eastern US, and will compete with native and non-invasive species: https://www.invasiveplantatlas.org/subject.html?sub=3072 Sorry we cannot help you find them.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I hope wineberry is listed in oregon as non-native, invasive. How about sources for purple and black raspberries? Thanks

Hmm. Guess I shouldn't sprout those wineberry seeds I ordered from Amazon, right?

Wineberry has not been identified (yet) in Oregon, so—assuming no one plants them here—it could only be identified as ‘non-native.’ I would strongly recommend against introducing it. As for sources of purple and black raspberries, since OSU cannot endorse commercial entities, I suggest you do a web search, or watch out for them, soon to arrive in local garden stores. Good luck!