can I turn a cherry tree into a bush?

Asked January 22, 2020, 12:19 AM EST

I have a cherry tree with several large suckers. If I cut the center of the tree out will more suckers grow so it will turn into a bush?

Allegheny County Pennsylvania

Thank you for your interesting question. By 'bush' I assume you mean a shrub. The short answer is 'no' you cannot turn your tree into a shrub. To grow a cherry tree shrub you would need the correct rootstock, such as developed by the University of Saskatchewan where breeders produced a hybrid cherry that grows in shrublike form.
Suckers are shoots arising from the roots of your tree. Each shoot generates a new cherry tree. These suckers can be quite vigorous, as you know, but because they emerge from the rootstock, and not the top growth, they are unlikely to exhibit the same properties if propogated.
It is best to remove all sucker growth. This growth may weaken your cherry tree.

I hope this helps.