Escapee or Wayward Migrator?

Asked January 19, 2020, 4:42 AM EST

Observed this bird on Long Island, NY in January 2020 just a few days ago! Used Merlin ID without success. What is it?

Suffolk County New York bird identification

Thank you for your question. The assigned expert has been unavailable. I suggest you contact your county Extension office directly for help. Since they are scattered about just now, you'll have to find the location of a wildlife specialist by calling the number on this webpage: http://ccesuffolk.org/

Good luck!

Some help! You have only one person on staff that can identify a bird? Moreover, the link you sent me for my local office shows that this office is closed with the following message:

The main offices at 423 Griffing Avenue are temporarily closed and the staff have been relocated to other facilities.

I don't know how many experts are familiar with birds in New York. The only thing I know about this segment of the Ask an Expert system is that the assigned expert has not been available for almost 2 years. I am in Oregon, attempting to get you an answer. Had you read further on the office webpage, you would have seen: "You may contact the main phone number at 631-853-6155." I suggest you call them.