What am I

Can someone please tell me what this baby is?

Arkansas snake identification ball python ball python morphs

Thank you for your question. The snake in your photograph is a Ball Python, scientific name Python regius. This species is native to central and western Africa. It is one of the most popular pet snakes, due to its usually mild disposition and small size. Adult females average 3 - 5 feet, and males are usually 2 - 3 feet in length.

Using various genetic traits, breeders have developed various morphs, which are snakes that exhibit other than normal colors and pattern variations. One website indicates there are currently over 7,000 different morphs for this species. I am not an expert on morphs, but your snake looks like it may be one of the "spider" morphs.

Here's a care sheet for this species published by Reptiles magazine that you can use to ensure you are providing an appropriate environment and habitat for your snake:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Snakes/Ball-Python/

I hope this answers your question, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim