poultry help

Asked January 7, 2020, 10:27 PM EST

when raising to process/ slaughter chickens what kind of rules are in place if we wanted to slaughter in house. We are looking to start raising them in the spring if not sooner.

Kent County Michigan

1 Response

Poultry inspection at the federal level is done by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) to enforce the Poultry Products Inspection Act. The USDA allows for poultry slaughter or processing exemption for processing of less than 20,000 birds annually. The USDA poultry processing exemption may dictate additional requirements by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) for selling poultry to the public. Depending on who (i.e. private consumers, retail establishments, restaurants, etc.) and how (live bird vs. poultry carcass or cut up parts) the exempted poultry is
sold will determine licenses and procedures that must be followed from other state agencies.
In USDA exemptions 1 and 2, most facilities that slaughter and process animals for the owner’s personal use and fall under the USDA custom exemption are also exempt from state inspection and licensure. However, a retail establishment slaughtering and selling live birds onsite is required to be licensed and
inspected by MDARD. This poultry cannot be sold or donated. Shipping containers are labeled with the following: a. the producer’s name, b. the producer’s address, and c. the statement, “Exempt P.L. 90-492” and packages should be marked “Not for Sale”.
State law requires that establishments under the USDA poultry exemption and selling products require a food license from MDARD (exemptions 3 – 7). Producers that fall under USDA exemption but choose not to process their own poultry, must have their birds processed at either a USDA inspected or MDARD licensed
establishment in order to sell or donate it. A Food Warehouse license from MDARD may also be needed.
A USDA or MDARD exemption does not exempt you from obtaining the proper permits for wastewater through the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), Water Resources Division or drinking water wells through your local health department (LHD).