Retort canning for tuna

I would like to know what the goal for the canning process is to make canned tuna safe to eat. What temperature must the tuna be at 240 degrees? for how long to kill bacteria? 5 minutes? 30 minutes? I have installed 2 remote temp probes in my pressure cooker to monitor the temp of the retort pouches. Is there a temp probe out there that would be considered appropriate to use for such tests? One of my probes seems to be consistent for the last 3 batches, the second had thermal runaway on the last batch. Thanks for you help on this! Steve

Columbia County Oregon food safety home food preservation tuna

Hi Steve,

I responded to the other post. This is something that needs to be studied. If you have data that you are willing to share, I would love to review it to learn more about how the temperature is behaving in the retort pouches. If willing to share, please email me at joy.waite-cusic@oregonstate.edu.

Thanks and best of luck.
Joy