Snake not eating.

Hello! I have an albino California King Snake. He is about 10 years old and I got him this summer. He hasn’t eaten since around late September, at first I thought he was going into shed but after constantly offering him food he doesn’t eat. Are there any explanations as to why he wouldn’t be eating. My mother is a vet but she doesn’t specialize in herpetology so she isn’t sure either. Thank you!

Cook County Illinois herpetology snake husbandry

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual for a snake to stop eating for an extended period. This assumes you are maintaining the appropriate temperature, humidity and habitat requirements for the species. I would continue to offer food every 7-10 days. I had a Haitian Boa (Chilabothrus striatus) that went from eating regularly to not eating for almost exactly one year, and then resumed eating on a regular basis.

If you are concerned that the snake is not eating because it is sick, then you should take it to a reptile veterinarian in your area to have it examined.

Here's a link to a California Kingsnake care sheet published by Reptiles magazine that provides information on habitat requirements for this species. You can refer to this to make sure you are providing all the necessary habitat elements for your snake.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Snakes/California-Kingsnake/

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim