Ornamental Tree Removal

Hello! My name is Topher Murray. I live in Baltimore City and have this tree behind my house that I would like to replace with a fruiting tree like a cherry. I'm not sure what it is, but it has no pods, cones, or berries at all. Juniper? I am simply looking for information to help in its removal, like its species, root size, and/ or toxicity. The tree is roughly 18 feet tall, so it will be hard to rehome it. Thank you!

Baltimore Maryland

This looks like a leyland cypress tree, Cupressus × leylandii.
It usually does not have a strong root system so you should be able to cut it down and dig out the root system. Otherwise, you may need to hire someone to cut down and stump grinding or stump removal.
Do not plant the new tree in the same hole. Plant at least 3 feet from the planting hole.

Growing tree fruit successfully in the home landscape is challenging and potentially rewarding. Tree fruits are subject to many problems (insects, diseases, weather extremes, wildlife) which can frustrate the novice grower and seasoned gardener alike.

If you intend to grow organically, start out with small fruits such as blueberry and blackberry. Tree fruits, especially apple and peach, are more prone to diseases and insect pests than small fruits. Fig, Asian pear, and Japanese persimmon are the tree fruits with the fewest pest problems. Learn more about growing fruits organically.

Take a look at our website for more information on growing tree fruits.https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/tree-fruit

Marian