Plug spawns safe for the Upper Peninsula

Hello, I recently saw someone use a mushroom plug spawn on YouTube. I thought it would be a great gift for my Dad to use at his cabin near Curtis, MI in the UP. My question is: which species of mushrooms will survive up north and not have a negative impact (becoming invasive, etc) on the environment? Thank you, Drew

Michigan

Hello
Thanks for your inquiry.

A more informed expert, has this question for you, "It might be easier to ask which fungi the person is considering, as there are HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of fungi species in the UP. I suspect that Drew would not appreciate a huge list, if one exists. And, the UP is a geographically diverse region and not all fungi species are ubiquitous.

I am not aware of any invasive fungi. Hmmm. Have you? Could check with MNFI.

There’s also often symbioses at play, or other interspecies relationships.

Where does the plug go? Into the ground? A log? Another medium?

Hi Rebecca and cohort,

Thanks for responding to my question. I was thinking about any edible mushrooms like shiitake, lions mane, turkey tail, lobster flavored, chicken of the woods, etc. I thought it would be neat for him to go catch some fish from Manistique and then go pick some mushrooms from his plug spawns.

The plugs go into trees in the fall (I think) and then start to spawn in the spring.

Here's a link to some. I'll check out the MNFI.
http://www.easygrowmushrooms.com/plugs.shtml

Thanks,
Drew

Hello

The more informed expert has this response, "All those you mention, except Shiitake, are native to the U.P. Shiitake are grown in basements on logs, not trees. Lion’s Mane may not be native, either. I don’t know that one. The lobster mushroom is a parasitic fungus. It’s kinda cool.

In response to your invasive question, a professor has this response, "I have not heard of any invasive mushrooms being offered for cultivation. People in the UP commonly grow shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms and bears-head mushrooms."