Canning tuna, how long does tuna need to be at 250 ti kill the bacteria?

I am using retort bags. When i used jars the process was 100 minutes at 10psi. I understand that amount of time and pressure ensures that all the jars, lids, and tuns in the pressure cooker reach 250 degrees long enough to make it safe to eat. I have a pressure cooker with a temp probe that i can monitor the temperature of the bags in the thickest part of the batch. I flatten each pouch and stack 5 together in each rack. This ensures good steam circulation. I would like to know how long the tuna needs to at 250 to make it safe to eat. I would add time as an extra precaution. Any help would be appreciated. Thx Steve 503-997-7090

Oregon food safety home food preservation

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the question. Sadly, we do not have any validated pressure canning recommendations in retort pouches for tuna or any other products. Therefore, I cannot recommend any processing times.

I apologize for the delay in responding – I was trying to find some resources, but there is nothing that is transferable to a home pressure canning system. I am putting this on my list of needs for things that need to be studied.

Joy