Feeding a King snake

So I recently acquired a chocolate banana California Kingsnake and im in love with him. Hes very active and easy to handle, aside from being a little shy at times. Hes a year and half old (roughly) and close to 3 feet long. I was told by the reptile shop I got him at that he should be eating hoppers, however for his size I feel as if theyre a little too small for him. What is the best way to determine how big of a mouse he should be eating? Any rules of thumb to listen to? Ive heard feed them a mouse about the width of their body, but wasnt ever sure how true that is. Anything would help, thank you.

Norfolk County Massachusetts snakes california kingsnake snake feeding kingsnake husbandry

Thank you for your question. For your snake, you should feed mice that are 1 to 1.5 times the diameter of your snake at the middle of its body. If feeding the right size prey, the snake should have a slight bulge in its body after swallowing the mouse.

Here's a link to a care sheet for California Kingsnakes published by Reptiles magazine that may be useful to you:
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Snakes/California-Kingsnake/

I hope this answers your question, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim