Discolored Bread

Last Saturday I made a small loaf of soda bread. It came out great and tasted good, I've made it before. However, by the next morning I noticed a light gray patch in the middle of the slice. I ate one piece, it seemed OK. However, even though it's been in the fridge since then the gray has grown and I think it needs to be tossed. Since a photo is better than a description, please see the attached file. What do you think caused the light gray? Thanks, Larry

Multnomah County Oregon

You have an interesting question with your bread. Because it happened so fast I doubt that it is mold so probably quality and not a safety issue. It kind of looks like a discoloration of the starch in the flour. I am wondering how moist your bread is. It might not have have been a little moist in the center where the graying started. Also how was it wrapped. If you wrapped it while it was still a little warm it could have put some moisture on the surface. With moisture the starch can gray sometimes.Example would be if you mix flour and water together and leave it set of a few hours or put it in the refrigerator it will turn gray. It doesn't appear to be gray on the outside which would be dryer.

That is my best guess. I doubt if it is unsafe to eat but it doesn't look great so probably just toss it and start again. The refrigerator temperatures do stale the bread faster so that might have something to do with it.

These are just guesses on my part. Sorry I cannot give you a scientific answer but from my experience working with bread and starches they can darken with moisture.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler

Yes, I believe you are correct. It did seem to be moist in the center when I took it out of the plastic bag the next day. I wonder if it was under baked? The recipe said 50 to 55 minutes at 450. The oven thermometer did say 450 so that part was OK. It is hard to tell when the bread is done, I do have a tendency to overcook some items so I try not to do that. I think I may just stick to other baked goods and forget about bread.
Thanks for your help. Larry

Oh don't give up baking. It happens to all of us once in a while. Happy New Year.

Nellie Oehler