Many Tree's Dying Help

I was threatened by a tenant he told me about a fungus that kills tree's and now my 40 to 60 foot tree's are dying. Something red starts on their bark then they dye. My Friend told me to let someone know. It's also affecting my neighbors tree's. Please help. Take Care, Dianna Storli

Marion County Oregon forestry trees and shrubs

Dianna, I can't tell for sure from the photos, but the reddish growth on your trees is probably a lichen growing on the bark and not a tree-killing fungus. If you do have dying trees, a good diagnosis will require further investigation. Starting with identifying the species of trees that are affected, a "taking a history" of how and when the problem appeared and looking for specific signs and symptoms, especially during the growing season.

I am familiar with many of the likely causes of trees dying on native woodlands in our area, so we can proceed with further investigation if you like. Please contact me directly via email to continue the process. glenn.ahrens@oregonstate.edu

At this point, it might be best to look at the trees in spring and summer. Now that winter is here, some key diagnostic symptoms may not be visible