Mountain Pine Beetle

Based on the life cycle of the Mountain Pine Beetle, am I correct in assuming that once a tree is already dead it is no longer infested with the beetles? In other words, because the Mountain Pine Beetles have a one year life cycle, isn't it true that every year they leave the tree they've been inhabiting for a new healthy tree? Is there any benefit for controlling the beetle by removing an already dead tree?

Boulder County Colorado

Hi there. Removing dead wood affected by the MPB (Mountain Pine Beetle) is a key management control process. The beetle will live in dead wood even if they are feeding on live wood. Their lifecycle will continue with successive matings so there is no way to judge whether there are live larvae or beetles based on the one year limit. It's important to remove the dead wood/trees to control further infestation. Please see the information on this website: https://csfs.colostate.edu/forest-management/common-forest-insects-diseases/mountain-pine-beetle/. You can also download the pdf that is shown at the bottom of the article. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for straightening that out for me. I appreciate this service the Extension Service provides so much.