Fig tree in a pot

Asked December 30, 2019, 10:01 AM EST

Hello, I am growing a fig tree of the variety named 'Chicago.' I planted it in the spring and it took off wonderfully. From what I've ready about it it goes dormant until early spring. Well, it did go dormant for a while, but then about a week or go or so one branch started to bud. Now, I did have the plant sitting by a northeast facing window. So I've put it downstairs in the dark hoping to make this one branch stop growing. The other branches have not budded. Is this what you would recommend? I want to make sure it stays dormant until at least March if possible. Thank you.

Hennepin County Minnesota

Thank you for writing.
The Chicago fig is rated to Zone 5. Your house is much warmer. Full dormancy is not required for the health of the plant. You can keep the tree where you had it upstairs, watering it lightly--(plants need less water when semidormant). Overwatering may lead to fungal diseases. Be sure the plant can drain fully each time it is watered. I would keep the leaves a couple inches off the cold windows and rotate the plant a quarter turn or so every week so that the light stays even. It should do nicely with out dieback.
It is a lovely plant.