My Indoor plant is Dying - help me save it.

Asked December 17, 2019, 9:53 AM EST

I have been struggling to nurse this plant back to health (see photo). I've had it for about 4 years and it has been very healthy and growing vigorously. The past 4 - 5 months it has been on a decline and I can't figure out why. Leaves are turning yellow and then brown. The stems and trunk feel spongy and weak. It is still in the brightest room of the house with good morning and early afternoon direct and indirect sunlight. I typically water it once a month. However, after the last watering, 5 months ago, the soil is still damp. I don't understand what is happening. Thank you for your help.

Wayne County Michigan

You've given a good clue by saying the soil is still damp after the last watering. Many more plants are done in by too much water than not enough. Many house plants need very little water and some survive by humidity alone if the house is humid enough. I would re pot it in a quality tropical soil, clip of the dead, and see how it does.

Good luck!