Adjusting sourdough starter panettone recipe for Boulder, CO

Asked December 16, 2019, 1:44 AM EST

Hi,

I would love to have some help adapting this recipe to Boulder, Colorado elevation: http://www.wildyeastblog.com/panettone-recipe/

I did one successful test run, but the loaves from my second try are in the oven now, and two of the three have collapsed horribly. The one that hasn't rose too much during the second rise, so I knocked it back and removed some dough from its mold before baking it.

I've just read about the importance of knocking back yeast dough at altitude, and I'd like your help determining when and how many times it would be best to do it for this recipe. Would you recommend that I punch the dough down and fold it after the first rise before mixing in additional ingredients? Or is the mixing a sufficient "punch" at that stage? Some folding happens after that mixing—that of the second round of ingredients into the first dough—but I don't think that's sufficient. Would it be better to knock the dough back after it's risen a second time in the paper molds?(That's what I did, in a moment of spontaneous panic, to the loaf that looks halfway decent in the oven right now.)

Finally, would you also recommend that I reduce the amount of yeast in the recipe? Would you make any other changes to the ingredients?

Thanks so much for looking into this!

Boulder County Colorado food preparation high altitude food preparation

Thank you for your question. The assigned expert has been unavailable. I suggest you contact your county Extension office directly: https://extension.colostate.edu/staff-directory/?cn-s=&cn-cat=67 Good luck!

Yeast Breads High altitude has its most pronounced effect on the rising time of bread. The shortened rising period can interfere with flavor development, thus less yeast may be used to slow the rise time. Also, the dough can be proofed twice to allow more time for the gluten to fully develop. Dough should rise only until just double in bulk, as over-proofing can result in a heavy, collapsed loaf. Flours tend to be drier and thus able to absorb more liquid in high, dry climates. Therefore, less flour or possibly additional liquid may be needed to moisten the dough to proper consistency.