Duck Processing

Asked December 10, 2019, 10:39 AM EST

Is it legal to process wild game (ducks) in a commercial kitchen? The duck meat will not be sold, or distributed. An employee of the kitchen would like to use the space to clean the game, remove the meat (for personal use) and carcass after completed and clean up after themselves. Just wondering if this is a health code violation.

Genesee County Michigan

Hi there, because it is not something that would be served/sold to others, they are just using for personal use, I don't see why it would be an issue - as long as the cleaning/sanitizing is up to code after they have finished. However, that being said - there may be a difference of opinion among sanitarians. Since the Sanitarians from your local health department enforce regulations, and can be more strict - I would advise you to check with your local health department and have a discussion with the Sanitarian.