Arborvitae - Rough Shape

Asked December 8, 2019, 11:45 AM EST

Hello! I planted 10 North Pole Arborvitae near Mother’s Day 2019 (may have been the week after). There are 8 or so of them with browning leaves, of which two look to be not long for the world. When I planted them (along the south side of our lawn) I worked a nice amount of organic material into the hole but didn’t fertilize otherwise at the advice of the nursery. I watered through the summer, and think I’ve given the best care. Now as we head into winter, I’m wrapping them with burlap and laying down more mulch. Is there anything else I can or should do to give them the best care for the winter ahead? I’m sending photos of some of the worst looking ones...as well as a photo of my wrap job in case you can give me tips on my technique! If some do die out, would you also be willing to share ideas of a few companion planst that might be good to include? I planted the arbs to create privacy along the back of our yard. Thank you for any advice you can provide! Best, Alisa

Hennepin County Minnesota

The plants appear to be well spaced for your purpose and nicely covered for winter protection.

Transplant shock is fairly common even when planting methods and after care are optimum. That might account for the die back evident in the photos. Go here for information about transplant shock:

Some of the affected plants have quite a bit of healthy foliage. With winter protection these might eventually recover. Many growers guarantee the viability of their stock for a year or two. If that's the case, this would be a good time to discuss the condition of the affected plants. Perhaps the grower/nursery will replace those that don't survive.

This information may be useful: