dead?

Asked December 5, 2019, 4:26 AM EST

I left my chrysanthemums out and they got hit by 21 degrees overnight. Are they dead or alive? (I have them sitting inside the house trying to decide what to do with them?

Wasco County Oregon

Thank you for your question. Without a photo or chance to examine the plants, I cannot tell you if they are dead or alive. I would suggest you follow the suggestions for winter care in the following article, and wait to see: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/chrysanthemum/wintering-mums.htm Good luck!

I guess I was wondering about root hair survival as well as larger roots when exposed to that temp for that amount of time.

Guess I'll stick them in the ground and mulch heavy.

jn

The soil and water act to insulate plant roots, which is why plants in containers fare worse than those in native soil. But, you can help with insulation by putting the container in a larger, soil filled container, or wrapping it with bubble wrap, for example. Unless there is adequate precipitation (in any season), container plants, especially, need watering by humans.