My mom is scared of snakes but I want one

How cane I convince my parents to get me a snake even though she is scared of them and my sister is scared of them too?

Maricopa County Arizona

Thank you for your question. Convincing a parent who's afraid of snakes to let you keep one can be a tough sell. I would definitely start with a captive raised species like a corn snake, ratsnake or kingsnake. These species are good beginner snakes.

Here's an idea that might help your parents learn more about snakes and see that keeping one in your house is not all that unusual. There is a herpetological society that meets in Phoenix, called the Arizona Herpetological Association, that has monthly meetings. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.azreptiles.com/

You might try seeing if your parents would take you to one of the society's monthly meetings, so they could meet adults that keep snakes and possibly parents who let their children have snakes as pets. If they talk to some other adults who have been keeping snakes for a long time, it might help them feel more comfortable about letting your keep one yourself.

I hope this information helps and good luck!!

Jim