50 year old indoor Hoya plant!

Hello! We’ve been married 50 years! The first year we were married, my husband gave me a Hoya. It’s still going strong, is huge, and has climbed up its chain to the ceiling. It looks healthy, but it must need trimming, a new pot, new soil, etc. I’m afraid to do anything to it myself. Can you refer me to someone who can help me keep it healthy? Thank you!

Wayne County Michigan

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

First of all my apologies for not answering you sooner. I've been without power due to the storm Midland got hit with on Sunday. Secondly, what a lovely healthy hoya you have and how wonderful you have such a gorgeous memory plant with which you can celebrate 50 years of marriage!

Here is my first question. Why do you think it must be trimmed, have a new pot or soil? As you say your plant looks very healthy so you have definitely had it in the right place and taken very good care of it. I would not change a thing unless it no longer fits in your space or you want more of it.

Transplanting or repotting any house plant in Michigan is best done in the spring when the return of the sun provides more light and stimulates growth so I would recommend you do nothing until late March or April.

Being married 50 years you and your husband are getting up in years. Like all of us you will not live for ever so would there be a loved one or ones who might enjoy having some of your cherished plant? Cuttings off your plant would be wonderful gifts. I would start therefore with taking cuttings. Hoyas root quite readily.

I have found this video for you. The woman is a bit over-the-top but she is spot on about how to repot and take cuttings. I would add the following to the video. Have a well draining soil and place the cuttings (in their water container) in a bright window or under plant lights. Now it you want to try this now and have cuttings for holiday giving go ahead and try it. Just make sure that the window sill is not cold as they like warmth. The room you have it in would be a great spot!

You can do this! Have fun making more anniversary plants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReA142L1fGc