Invasive grass

Asked November 29, 2019, 11:08 AM EST

I have developed an issue in my lawn with an invasive grass -- and I say grass because it seems quite different from a weed. This grass tends to mat in clusters, mixes in with other desired grasses to a degree but eventually crowds them out forming patches( thick mats). Pulling a single sprig it has a brownish stem that then branches into about a dozen green/brown blades. It can become quite thick and ironically actually looks better in the winter because it's green as opposed to the summer where it seems to wither a bit in the heat -- but survives. It is shallow rooted -- it will pull out in clumps if raked hard but is also resilient and comes back and it spreads. Do you know what this is -- and is there a fix?

Howard County Maryland

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.