Port Orford

Can you tell me if it looks like my tree is dying? It was green this summer, grew tons of berries, but suddenly looks brown. Do these trees change in the fall and winter, dropping their leaves. I know they can be subject to a root disease. This lone tree is in Forest Grove, OR in my front yard.

Washington County Oregon trees and shrubs

Port-Orford-cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) is an endemic to southwest Oregon and northwest California. It is one of the primary conifers associated with riparian areas and Darlingtonia wetlands in the serpentines of the Klamath-Siskiyou Mountains. Port-Orford-cedar plant communities include Port-Orford-cedar with hairy honeysuckle and Idaho fescue, Port Orford cedar with huckleberry oak and beargrass, and Port-Orford cedar with western azalea.

In the wild, the species is seriously threatened by a root disease caused by the introduced oomycete pathogen, Phytophthora lateralis.

It is unlikely your tree has been killed by this pathogen. It could be drought, construction, or other landscaping projects in the area of the tree.

I am sorry to report that by your photos your tree appears to have died.

Here is a publication you may find of interest:

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/beauty/serpentines/conservation/poc_conservation.shtml

Hope this helps!