Deer processing

Asked November 23, 2019, 9:36 AM EST

I'm thinking of starting a deer processing business in my garage do cut vacuum seal make snack sticks summer sausage and jerky what do I have to do and what permits do I have to have

Arenac County Michigan

1 Response

Cutting and wrapping venison in butcher paper or overwrap is allowed without a license. If you want to vacuum seal it (reduced oxygen packaging), make summer sausage or make jerky, then you have to have a Food Establishment License from the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) along with a Wild Game Variance and a Specialized Retail Meat Processing Variance. For more information, call MDARD at 1-800-292-3939 or visit